Balfour speaks...

MemorialStadKid

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It only matters to the Orioles if a successful grievance is filed. By not going into detail they reduce the likelihood of a misstep that is used against them. Look they really had a problem with the medicals, there is something there and the O's team thinks Belfour is a ticking time bomb. They would probably love for a team to step in and take their original offer, it would end it for them. However I do not expect that to happen, other teams are going to see the same thing, IMO. Also the details from the Orioles' POV are going to hurt Belfour's value no matter what, so why would the O's want to give them out and hurt themselves in a grievance?

BTW I find it amazing how many want to take the Belfour camp position at face value. The O's position has far more credibility than the player's hired guns.

I'm not saying that the Orioles doctors are going to diagnose him with something but I do think that if they feel like there is a risk for shoulder damage (for example) then they would disclose that reservation. I don't think they're just going to say we have concerns and not even hint at what the concerns are.

I agree about taking Balfours position at face value. He's not trying to dispute anything and his defense has come from doctors with whom he has personal relationships.

I haven't seen any real quotes from the other doctor, who is apparently a friend of Balfour's, other than Balfour's comments saying that he thinks Balfour is healthy.

The other doc is Kremchek, who actually did both of Balfour's surgergeries, who Balfour's agent Seth Levinson paraphrased, (I KNOW... Balfour's agent...) But Levinson's statement included "Dr. Tim Kremchek, another well-respected club physician, reviewed the Orioles' medical report and advised that he is remarkably impressed that there has been little change in Grant's arm for almost 10 years."

Remarkably impressed.

I'm not saying that the Orioles doctors are going to diagnose him with something but I do think that if they feel like there is a risk for shoulder damage (for example) then they would disclose that reservation. I don't think they're just going to say we have concerns and not even hint at what the concerns are.

I agree about taking Balfours position at face value. He's not trying to dispute anything and his defense has come from doctors with whom he has personal relationships.

But even one of Belfour's Docs admitted he knew why the O's had problems with the medicals. All the parties know what the issue is, IMO. It sounds as if Belfour has been beating the odds fora while now and is pitching with a condition that most are not able to pitch with. Belfour's position is I have beat the odds for several years now so everyone should ignore what the MRI shows. I agree there is a chance he is right and he is an outliner but I understand not wanting to take the financial risk. Also this has not been addressed but it is possible that the underwriter would not touch the contract after their doctors looked at the medicals.

But even one of Belfour's Docs admitted he knew why the O's had problems with the medicals. All the parties know what the issue is, IMO. It sounds as if Belfour has been beating the odds fora while now and is pitching with a condition that most are not able to pitch with. Belfour's position is I have beat the odds for several years now so everyone should ignore what the MRI shows. I agree there is a chance he is right and he is an outliner but I understand not wanting to take the financial risk. Also this has not been addressed but it is possible that the underwriter would not touch the contract after their doctors looked at the medicals.

Yeah I really don't get the vitriol some have for the Orioles in this whole situation.

Yeah I really don't get the vitriol some have for the Orioles in this whole situation.

I know Balfour and his camp aren't blameless in all this, but it's Grant's original rantings that sway me. I'm paraphrasing cuz it's getting late and I'm on a tear... He said he was an All-Star this year, that his last outing of the year he was still 94-95.

He sounded psyched to join the team, and he is freaking healthy! PA or DD or some docs have no marbles! Take a freakin risk! :angryfire:

I know Balfour and his camp aren't blameless in all this, but it's Grant's original rantings that sway me. I'm paraphrasing cuz it's getting late and I'm on a tear... He said he was an All-Star this year, that his last outing of the year he was still 94-95.

He sounded psyched to join the team, and he is freaking healthy! PA or DD or some docs have no marbles! Take a freakin risk! :angryfire:

and when he's on the DL by June.. what do we do?

Keep in mind the Orioles have a smaller margin of error than other teams. They cannot afford to pay a reliever 7.5 million while he is unable to perform. The Yankees, on the other hand, can absorb the cost of having Jeter and Texiera sitting and getting paid. The Orioles doctors may be more cautious than others, but will good reason.

Archived